Monday 16 February 2015

Lost in Translation

I have lost my confidence a bit while trying to get by using the small amount of French that I know.

The other night we were invited to have an apéro (shortened word of 'apéritif' - small drinks and snack before a meal). The couple who invited us were a lovely pair whom we were introduced to through our friend who we're subletting from. The French couple spoke only French (quite normal as we're living in a French speaking country!). So, there we are at their house only speaking French and I'm understanding mostly everything well. Boy, I even feel confident. Until, I feel the need to express my opinion. My face screws up searching for the words I need, "je pense...". Everyone's faces screw up in a show of sympathy... It doesn't help, only makes it worse.

I have finally saved up enough money to start an intensive French course. So, here's to the screwed up faces becoming less screwed up! :)

A raspberry tartelette I ate after signing up for the French course!

No comments:

Post a Comment