Thursday 5 March 2015

Les couleurs de Lyon

I am a flâneur; always looking around me - at the passerbys, the buildings and anything else that catches my eye. Typically, a flâneur was a French man who gazed at life passing by as he strolled around. He was often depicted in Impressionist paintings and written about by philosophers such as Walter Benjamin.

Wandering through the streets of Lyon, I am always stopping to peer at the small details but also standing back and just looking. And everywhere I look, candy and pastel colours paint the walls around me. There seems to be an actual colour code - pinks, oranges, and hues of purple and blue! Each time graffiti is painted over, it's covered with a slightly different colour to the base coat, creating a different patchwork on each wall. Whoever chooses these slabs of colour is doing a fantastic job!

It feels at times, like I'm living in an icing coated cake city.










No comments:

Post a Comment